Do I Need Travel Insurance For The UK?

Although the UK isn’t part of the Schengen Area, AXA’s Europe Travel insurance also covers you if you are planning on a trip to Britain. 

From the bright lights of bustling London to the beautiful landscapes of Scotland, there is so much to see in the UK. You can visit Liverpool, the home of The Beatles, watch Manchester’s two famous football teams, or go back in time and visit Stonehenge, medieval castles, or Sherwood Forest - the home of Britain’s legendary outlaw Robin Hood. If the weather’s kind, there is nothing like a meal of traditional British fish and chips by the seaside. 

Sports fans can also visit some of the world’s best golf courses or take in a game at London’s homes of cricket, Lord’s and The Oval. 

In case you hadn’t noticed, there have been some changes in the United Kingdom’s status within Europe in recent years due to Brexit - which has altered Britons ability to live and work in the EU and vice versa, due to the end of free movement between the UK and EU. 

However, if you are traveling as a tourist, little may change. The UK still has similar visa-free travel arrangements to the Schengen Area - but it is worth checking if your country has this arrangement. The maximum stay on a visitor’s visa is six months.

AXA’s Europe Travel insurance offers extensive protection for those traveling to the UK - as it can cover medical expenses up to €100,000 in the UK and other Schengen Area countries. It also allows you to obtain the travel insurance certificate required with your visa application. 

What does AXA Europe Travel insurance for the UK cover?

Starting at €33 per week (approx. US$36) of your trip, our Europe Travel insurance covers

  • Up to €100,000 coverage in medical expenses 
  • Medical repatriation & transport 
  • 24/7 medical assistance in English or French in case of urgency
  • Up to 180 days of coverage
  • All Schengen and European Union countries as well as the United Kingdom (depending on the chosen insurance)
  • Insurance certificate issued immediately and approved by the embassies
  • No age limit
  • Zero deductible - which will allow you to avoid some upfront and early costs with your claim

Is travel insurance required for a UK visa?

Travel insurance is not required for UK Visitor Visas for up to six-month stays - but if you are planning on entering the Schengen Area via Britain you will need it to obtain a Schengen Visa. Either way, travel insurance is strongly recommended as medical costs can be high for foreigners, especially as you will need to pay for any prescriptions.

Do you cover emergency medical costs related to coronavirus? 

We will cover your medical costs related to coronavirus provided you haven't traveled against World Health Organization advice, personal medical advice from your doctor, or any other government body’s advice in your home country or the country you are traveling to. Emergency and additional travel costs are also covered providing you have stuck to this advice. 

All issued electronic certificates purchased on the axa-schengen site include this disclaimer: “Medical fees related to COVID-19 are covered in the terms, conditions & exclusions established in the insurance policy”. This will satisfy any embassy rules that state you must get an insurance certificate with Covid protection. 

Will the AXA travel insurance meet Schengen requirements should I visit Europe?

AXA has been delivering insurance certificates that meet Schengen countries’ requirements to obtain a visa for more than 10 years.  This applies to Europe travel insurance you may take out for the UK. All you need to do is print the electronic form of the health insurance certificate and enclose it with your visa application. Each AXA Schengen insurance certificate is individualized and bears a number that is verifiable on our website.

Should I still purchase AXA insurance to cover my possible health expenses?

Travel insurance is not mandatory for the UK, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be injured or get ill. A broken wrist or nasty infection can happen to anyone! We thus strongly recommend that you subscribe to our insurance for travelers visiting Europe to make sure your trip is as safe and peaceful as possible. Particularly if tackling dangerous sports.

What are the main advantages of AXA Europe Travel insurance?

  1. Compliant with European requirements for Schengen Visa. 10 years of existence
  2. Immediate coverage. Your insurance covers you from the first day you need it
  3. No age restriction, zero deductible
  4. No price variation because of nationality or age
  5. Refund if your Schengen Visa application is denied.

Why should you trust us?

  • Medical files processed by AXA Schengen in 2021: 2292
  • Medical calls processed by our agents in 2021: 3845

What insurance plans do you have to consider?

  Coverage duration Max.
Countries Covered Average price 
Europe Travel Up to 180 days  €100,000
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
33€ per week
(approx. US$ 35)
Multi Trip  Illimited number of stays of 90 days max.
during 1 year 
€100,000 328€ per year
approx. US$ 349)
Low Cost Up to 180 days  €30,000
Austria, Belgium, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

22 € per week
(approx. US$ 23)

Is a Schengen visa valid for the UK?

A Schengen visa is not valid for the UK, and you will need a tourist visa to travel to Great Britain. A standard visitor’s visa allows you to stay for up to six months. If you are a citizen of Ireland, an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland, you do not require a visit or holiday visa to travel to Ireland. You will also not need a visa if you are a citizen of a country with a visa free travel arrangement with the UK.

What should I do if I am injured or ill while in the UK?

Don’t worry - AXA’s Schengen insurance is here to guide, help, and protect you. In case of a medical emergency, you must contact the AXA Schengen call center at the number provided on your insurance policy. Medical assistance professionals will answer your questions and advise you 24/7 to help you find the medical center best suited to your situation and the closest to your location.

The following information must be given to the call center:

  • The number of your policy, which begins with “SCH”.
  • The address and telephone number at which you can be reached and the details of the people that can be contacted locally.
  • The dossier number, which is communicated at the time of the first call.

IMPORTANT: Remember to always keep bills/ invoices and enclose them with your file.

What should I know when preparing for my trip to the U.K.?

Security: The United Kingdom is considered a very safe country. Like anywhere, there are parts that are dangerous and should be avoided, but for the most part, completely safe to travel to. Pickpockets are known to operate in central London, and some other major cities.

Public transport: The UK has an extensive - if at times crowded - rail network that enables you to travel between major cities and towns. London is covered by an extensive bus network but services are patchier outside major cities. The London Underground may be the oldest and most famous metro train network, but other cities with networks are Merseyside (Liverpool), Tyne and Wear (Newcastle and Sunderland), and Glasgow. Other cities have tram networks including Manchester and Sheffield. You can also travel the country by coach.

Opening hours: Britain has liberal opening hours but convenience stores are usually open from around 7 or 8 am until 10 pm. Supermarkets keep similar hours but may close slightly earlier. Shops shut earlier on Sundays - often at 4 or 5 pm. In major cities, some late-night stores are available.

Driving license: In the UK, you can drive with a valid driving license from your own country or an International Driving Permit for one year before you must take out a Provisional UK Licence and put 'L' plates on your car. 

Restaurants: Lunch in the UK is generally taken around 1 pm - with many restaurants and pubs opening at midday. Many cafes and pubs open earlier for breakfast. Dinner is generally eaten from around 6.30 pm onwards - with restaurants busiest after 7 pm and often closing at 11 pm - although this is when serving will end and you will be allowed to finish your meal and drinks.

Visa: Although many countries, like USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, have visa-free travel with the United Kingdom and the Schengen Area, if you think you do need a visa you can find out more, click here.