What are the requirements of the insurance I need to obtain a Schengen Visa?
Schengen visa travel insurance requirements (regulation n° 810/2009 of the European Parliament)
Those who require a short-term stay Schengen Visa need insurance that:
- covers every Schengen Area nation (even countries you have no plans to visit)
- valid for all the duration of your stay in Europe
- will reimburse you for the costs of accidents, illnesses, and emergency treatment, and repatriation in case of death
- with minimum coverage of at least €30,000.
For longer visits to work or study in a Schengen country you will need medical insurance for the duration of your stay.
What are the requirements of medical insurance for a multiple entry Schengen Visa?
Multiple entries Schengen insurance requirements
Applicants for a visa for more than two entries (multiple entries) shall prove that they are in possession of valid travel medical insurance covering the period of their first intended visit.
What documentation do I need to provide to visa officials?
You will need to provide your insurance certificate, showing you have obtained the correct insurance to travel within the Schengen Area.
AXA provides a printable, personalised certificate online once you have bought your policy. This certificate meets all the requirements of the European Union for obtaining a Schengen visa.
The maximum duration of the insurance contract is 180 consecutive days (6 months).
What insurance products do AXA offer for those traveling to the Schengen Area?
AXA offers three types of travel and medical insurance to those traveling to the Schengen Area, starting with a low-cost option priced at €0.99 per day, more comprehensive Europe Travel coverage from €1.50 per day, and a Multi Trip option priced at €298 per year. All come with a guarantee of a refund if your visa application is refused and an instantly available insurance certificate to aid your application.
Extract from the Regulation n° 810/2009 of the European parliament about the Travel medical insurance
Article 15 Travel medical insurance
1. Applicants for a uniform visa for one or two entries shall prove that they are in possession of adequate and valid travel medical insurance to cover any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment or death, during their stay(s) on the territory of the Member States.
2. Applicants for a uniform visa for more than two entries (multiple entries) shall prove that they are in possession of adequate and valid travel medical insurance covering the period of their first intended visit. In addition, such applicants shall sign the statement, set out in the application form, declaring that they are aware of the need to be in possession of travel medical insurance for subsequent stays.
3. The insurance shall be valid throughout the territory of the Member States and cover the entire period of the person’s intended stay or transit. The minimum coverage shall be EUR 30 000. When a visa with limited territorial validity covering the territory of more than one Member State is issued, the insurance cover shall be valid at least in the Member States concerned.