What is a European student visa?

If you are looking to study in Europe for a period of less than three months, you should apply for a standard Schengen Visa that will allow you to travel throughout its member states. However, if you want to study for longer, you should apply for a Long-Stay national Student Visa from the embassy of the country you are planning to study in.

What documents will I need to get a Europe Student Visa?

The mandatory documents required to obtain a Student Visa are two completed application forms, two identical photos, a valid passport, a copy of your itinerary including your flight numbers detailing when you will enter and exit, proof of accommodation, a letter of invitation or acceptance from the institution you wish to study at, and travel insurance. You may also be asked to provide proof of your academic qualifications. Countries also have their own student visa criteria that must be met if you want to study there.

For example, to study in France you must be over 18 years of age, students in Italy must prove they have financial support of at least €448 per month for the duration of studies. Those studying in Italy must also obtain a residency permit. Getting a visa to study in Germany requires proof you have the funds an average student needs to live on - €8,640. You will have to pay a processing fee of €75 via a bank transfer to study in Germany too. You can apply for your visa at your host country’s embassy, consulate, or visa application center and may have to attend an interview.

Can I work while I study?

Working while in a country on a student visa is against the law without securing an employment visa from your host government. Therefore, you can combine studying with work. For example, in France the law authorises foreign students to work 964 hours, which corresponds to 60% of normal working hours. However, part-time work will not be sufficient to cover all your expenses and should be considered as a secondary source of income. Violating these rules could seriously jeopardize your studies and future employment prospects, as breaking local immigration laws may result in a travel ban.

How can AXA help?

With time of the essence, it’s better to apply for a Europe study visa as soon as possible. AXA can help by providing you with Student travel insurance LOW COST that meets your Europe student visa requirements from as little as €0.99 per day. Perfect for those on a tight student budget! A certificate proving you are insured will be available immediately, meaning you can get on with your EU student visa application.