Europe work visa

I’m planning to work in Europe, do I need a Schengen work visa?

There’s no such thing as a Schengen work visa. You can only work in Schengen nations if you have a National D type Visa, which is issued by the country you are planning to work in.

If your mission or service obligation does not exceed 90 days, you will be issued with a short-stay visa equivalent to the length of the posting declared by your employee. You must leave your host country before the expiry date shown on your visa.

If your mission or service obligation exceeds 90 days, you will be issued with a long-stay work visa type D. You may also need to validate it within three months following your arrival.

Is a work visa difficult to obtain?

Citizens of the USA, Australia, Canada, China, Japan, India or other non-EU countries must apply for a work visa to work in Europe. Each Schengen member state has its own immigration policies towards citizens of non-member states, tailored to their own needs. This means the ease with which you can obtain a visa will depend on the specific immigration policies of the country you are planning to work in. Your chances of acceptance will also depend on your profession and whether you meet the labor needs of the country concerned. Your future employer may also need to obtain a work permit from the national authorities. Before applying for a work visa you should check that you have a strong chance of matching the visa criteria of the country where you are planning to work.

What documents do I need to apply for a work visa for Europe?

The process varies from country to country, but the standard requirements for an employment visa in Europe are two copies of a completed application form, two identical photos, a valid passport, your travel reservations, travel and medical insurance, proof of accommodation, an employment contract, and your academic or professional qualifications. You may also be asked to prove you can speak the language of your host nation.

I’m confident I meet the criteria to work in Europe, when should I apply?

You are strongly advised to apply for a European work visa at least two months before your trip as embassy staff can take six weeks to process an employment visa application. Sometimes the process can be extended to 12 weeks - so it’s good to apply early.

How long will my work visa be valid for?

Most European work visas entitle you to work for one year, but most countries allow you to apply for an extension upon their expiration. To do this, you will have to provide the authorities in the country you are working in with required documents, explaining the reason for extending your stay.

How can AXA help?

With time of the essence, it’s better to apply for a work visa as soon as possible, AXA can help by providing you with travel and medical insurance that meets your EU work visa requirements from as little as €0.99 per day. You will receive a certificate proving you are insured immediately, meaning you can get on with your visa application.