Greece Schengen Visa: how to obtain a visa to travel to Greece?
If you are a U.S., Canadian or Mexican citizen you will not need a visa for short term travel to Greece, as these countries are among those with visa-free arrangements with the European Union (EU). However, it is worth noting that from 2023, citizens will need to apply for an ETIAS visa waiver before they travel, which can be obtained online and will cost €7 ($7.82).
Citizens of countries without a visa waiver deal, including China, India, Russia and all African nations, even those who are permanent residents of the U.S. or Canada or Green Card holders, will require a Greece Schengen Visa to travel to the country. This covers travel in all countries within the Schengen zone (European countries which have abolished border controls between each other). From January 2020 the cost of Greece visa increased to €80 ($88). If you are planning to stay longer than 90 days, you will need to explore obtaining a long-term national visa to Greece.
I’m applying for a visa to Greece from the U.S. - where do I do this?
1. A downloadable Greece visa application form is available on the Greek U.S. consular website: mfa.gr/usa/en/visas.html?mission=was
2. Once you have completed your application, you will need to book a visa appointment, at the Greek consulate (9 consulates in the United States) - details of which you can also find on the Greek U.S. consular website.
You are advised that during busy periods, appointments might not be immediately available, so it’s recommended you try to secure one a couple of weeks before your date of departure if traveling on a short-stay visa, and a month for a long-stay visa. However, applications cannot be submitted more than 90 days before your departure date.
I’m applying for a Greek Visa from India - where do I do this?
Greece visa for Indians
You will need to visit the Global Visa Center website (GVCW) and set up an account to apply online. You will then need to book an appointment at a Global Visa Center office. These are located in :
- New Delhi
and have all the documents you need to apply for your visa with you.
Greece visa requirements for Indian citizens
You will find all the information from Greece embassy in New Delhi about DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED BY ALL APPLICANTS.
Address : EP-32, Dr S. Radhakrishnan Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021
Tel. : (009111) 26880700-4
Fax : (009111) 26888010, 24675231
What documents do I need to apply for a Greek Schengen Visa?
To obtain a Schengen Visa to travel to Greece you will need :
- a passport with at least two blank pages
- roundtrip tickets and itinerary of your trip
- fingerprints. The applicant’s fingerprints shall be collected if they have not been registered in the VIS within the previous 59 months, during a previous lodging of a Schengen visa application.
- visa fees (€80 or $90)
- proof of accommodation (a booking, a rental or lease agreement, or a letter of invitation (affidavit) signed by the inviting person and duly notarized in Greece
- evidence you can financially support yourself during your stay (you should provide your last three months of bank statements showing movements in the last three months, duly stamped and signed by the bank, W2 forms for U.S. residents, as well as a letter from your employer stating position and monthly or annual salary or proof of business ownership).
- for students: a reference letter from educational institution (school/college/university) stating that you are in good standing, your major and the expected date of graduation.
- a recent photo
- a travel health insurance certificate proving you are covered for your trip.
- U.S. residents who are not citizens will require a Green Card or I-20 student form proving their right to work or study in the U.S.
Your passport should be issued no longer than 10 years ago and be valid for three months beyond the end of your stay.
How much is a visa to Greece?
|€80 (around $88)
|Children aged 6 to 12:
|€40 (around $44)
|children under age 6:
How much time does it take to get a visa to Greece?
Since the implementation of the new Schengen Visa Code (February 2020) you can now apply for your Greece Schengen visa at the earliest 3 to 6 months prior to the date of your trip and at the latest 15 calendar days before your departure date.
In average it is recommended to start your Greece visa application process 6 weeks before the beginning of your trip.
Other Schengen countries you might be interested in
Related topics :
What do I need from my travel and health insurance?
To obtain a visa, your travel and medical insurance must be valid for the whole Schengen Area, even countries you have no plans to visit, and cover accidents, illnesses, and emergency treatment, as well as repatriation to the U.S. in case of death, for costs up to a minimum of €30,000.
Why choose AXA Schengen Insurance?
The AXA Schengen Europe Travel Insurance offers extended coverage wherever you travel in Greece and in the Schengen Area or in the wider EU region. It also provides the mandatory insurance certificate needed for a Schengen Visa. The countries covered include the Schengen Area and all European Union countries (Ireland included) as well as Lichtenstein, San Marino, Andorra, Monaco, and Vatican City.