How do I apply for a student visa to Spain?

The first step towards obtaining a student visa to Spain is to apply to a Spanish university and receive your acceptance letter. Once you receive confirmation you’ve been accepted to study in an officially recognized university in Spain, you can proceed to contact the Spanish embassy or consulate, or visa application center in your country of residence.
You can find the Spanish consulate in your country here.

How much does it cost?

The flat rate charge for a Student visa Spain : 

  • if you apply from the U.S.: $160
  • If you apply from Canada : $95
  • Other nationalities: $67

What types of Spain student visa do I need to apply for?

As university courses vary in length, there is a variety of different Spain student visa types depending on how long you need to study for. A 180-day D-type visa is for those who are planning to study in Spain between three and six months, while the student type-D visa is for those studying for more than six months.
American citizens (or any other nationality that does not require visa to enter in Spain) visiting for less than 90 days for studies purposes do not need to apply for this visa.

What are the Spain student visa requirements?

What documents do I need to apply for a student visa in Spain?

To apply for a student visa in Spain, you’ll need other documents besides your official acceptance letter. These include

  • two Spain student visa application form completed and signed (application for national visa) that you can download here
  • Two recent photos in color (US passport size)
  • If you are in the U.S.: Immigration status in US (not applicable for US citizens): Green Card, valid US student visa, work permit (stamp on the passport) or parole. Original and Copy.
  • Passport or recognized travel document valid for at least the length of stay requested. Original and Copy.
  • Certificate of admission issued in Spain by any authorized university or school, verifying enrollment as a full‐time student, leading to obtaining a degree or certificate. The certificate must detail: Name of the program, duration (start and end dates), address, phone number, name of the person in charge of the program (the certificate of admission must be presented in Spanish).  
  • details of your studies, including the hours per week,
  • proof of medical insurance and a medical certificate confirming that you don’t have any diseases that would require you to be quarantined,
  • proof that you have the funds to support yourself for the duration of your stay, to cover the expenses of stay and return to your country, and, where 2 appropriate, those of your relatives. For the applicant’s support, a minimum amount of $600 per month unless it is duly accredited to have the accommodation paid in advance for the entire duration of the stay. For the support of family members during their stay in Spain: a minimum amount of $450 for the first family member and; $300 per month for each of the remaining family members who will integrate the family unit in Spain.
  • information about where you’ll be staying during your studies,
  • and a clean criminal record certificate issued in the past five years by your home country. In the US you can request the one issued by the US Department of Justice‐  Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) or the one issued by the Department of Law Enforcement of your State of residence

If you are in the US, you will find more information about here

Where do I apply for a Spanish student visa?

The student visa must be applied for in your home country, not after you’ve traveled to Spain. It’s generally advised to apply at least 1 to 3 months before you intend on arriving in the country. Applications with more than 90 days in advance of the starting program will not be accepted.
You can learn more about how to apply for a visa at official Spain visa center site BLS Spain

Is there anything else I need to do?

A longer stay type-D visa enables you to obtain a TIE (Tarjeta de identidad de extranjero) Residence Card for foreign students, a temporary permit that allows you to legally live in Spain. This is valid for a maximum of one academic year but can be renewed on an annual basis for longer courses. You must obtain your TIE card within 30 days of entering Spain and can submit your application at a Foreigners Office (immigration center) or a police station.

How can AXA help?

AXA offers international health insurance for a period up to 180 days . That will cover your Schengen visa Spain requirements. We can also share advice on the right choice for studying in Spain - a country in the Schengen Area of free travel in Europe.