France travel insurance for U.K nationals

Do I need travel and medical insurance to visit France from the U.K.

If you are a U.K. citizen wishing to travel to France after Britain’s departure from the European Union, you will still not need a visa to travel to the Schengen Area if you plan on staying for fewer than 90 days, as the country currently has visa-free travel arrangements with France and the other EU and non-EU countries in the Schengen Zone for short-term visits. However, if you are planning on staying longer in the country you will need a visa and so will require travel insurance as a condition of obtaining your visa.

This means that travel and medical insurance are not a necessity for British citizens visiting France for short trips, but it is recommended as you may not be covered for all treatment and mishaps. From end 2023 you will need to apply via the new ETIAS system authorization before you visit the Schengen Area.

There are, however, some changes to Britain’s arrangements with the EU that affect travel to France. For example, although existing European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) covering you for medical costs remain valid after Brexit, British citizens will now have to apply for a different document, the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) if they want to be covered for basic and necessary healthcare in EU countries like France. As the GHIC will not necessarily cover all medical treatment or mishaps, it is a good idea to get travel and medical insurance that covers you for more extensive medical costs, especially if you’re planning to be active and adventurous during your stay in France.

Non-U.K. nationals living in Britain who wish to travel to France

If you are traveling from the U.K. but are a citizen of a country without a visa-free travel arrangement with the European Union and Schengen Zone, you need to apply for a Schengen Visa for visits lasting fewer than 90 days, meaning you will need travel insurance covering you for medical and repatriation costs up to €30,000 that is valid in all 27 Schengen states, including France. It is essential to obtain insurance and a certificate before applying for your French Schengen Visa.

Applying for longer term visas to France

Before Britain left the EU, U.K. nationals had the right to live and work within other EU states for as long as they wanted - but now will have to apply for residency in France, meaning they will need to obtain or register for health insurance when moving to France.

Registering for healthcare in France

Those moving to France as permanent residents must register for state healthcare and can sign up for top-up health insurance if desired. If you are a legal resident in France after three months, you can get a French social security card for healthcare (known as a carte vitale). To get a French social security card, you will need to register with your local Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie (CPAM), who will tell you the required documents you will need to submit with your application. You can take out additional private medical insurance on top of state healthcare should you wish.


What are my options when buying Schengen travel insurance from AXA?

Low Cost

For those on a strict budget or who want basic coverage, AXA provides Low Cost Schengen Area travel insurance that meets your visa requirements from as little as €22 per week. This will cover you for medical expenses up to €30,000 in all Schengen countries and offer you coverage in case you require repatriation. A certificate proving you are insured will be available immediately.

Europe Travel

AXA also offers Europe Travel insurance, costing €33 per week - this is perfect for those traveling with family as it covers children under 18, or for those planning more adventurous activities during their trip as it covers expenses up to €100,000. With this type of insurance, you are also covered for loss of documents or other important items - and towards any costs incurred in resolving these issues.

Multi Trip

Schengen Multi Trip insurance is available for €328 for a year’s coverage and has the same benefits as Europe Travel but can be used throughout a year on multiple trips - perfect for regular business travelers.

AXA also offers other insurance products tailored towards those planning to move to France to study, work or live, such as international insurance or plans for students completing their education abroad. Should you apply for a visa and be refused, meaning you have to cancel your trip, our policies are refundable.

At the moment of taking out health insurance you need to declare any pre-existing conditions. AXA has made it easy for you to do so by answering simple confidential questions during the quote process. We should be able to offer insurance that covers the conditions you have declared, but claims relating to any conditions not declared to us will not be covered.

Related article : Schengen travel insurance for U.K nationals traveling to Spain


Frequently asked questions about obtaining travel insurance for a visit to France

How do I contact AXA to make a claim during my trip?

If you need to contact us for assistance during your trip to France you can email the AXA Help Team on travel.help@axainsurance.com or log in to your online account and follow the simple steps on the claims page. For support in a medical emergency: call our 24-hour helpline on +44 (0)1737 815626. Call charges may vary.

Will I be able to travel to other EU countries with my insurance?

Yes. Our Schengen insurance/ Multi Trip/ or Europe Travel policies will cover you if you travel to another Schengen state other than France.

Do AXA policies provide cover if I contract Covid-19 in France?

All AXA policies include cover for emergency medical expenses due to coronavirus or for cancelation caused by you becoming ill with coronavirus. However - several policies no longer cover the cancelation of holidays if regulatory bodies advise against travel due to the pandemic.