Schengen travel insurance for U.K nationals traveling to Spain

Do I need travel and medical insurance to visit Spain from the U.K.?

If you are a U.K. citizen wishing to travel to Spain, you do not currently need a visa to travel to the Schengen Area if you plan on staying for fewer than 90 days, as the country currently has visa-free travel arrangements with the Schengen Zone of countries, despite Britain’s departure from the European Union (EU) and the end of its transition period at the end of 2020.


This means that travel and medical insurance are not a necessity for British citizens visiting Spain for a trip lasting up to 90 days, but it is recommended as you may not be covered for all treatment and mishaps. From 2023, you will need to apply for ETIAS visa authorization to visit Spain and other EU states. which will allow you to visit the Schengen Area without the need for a visa, even though the U.K. has left the EU. It has not been announced when the ETIAS will be mandatory, but EU officials have said it will be in place in 2023.


There are, however, some changes to Britain’s arrangements with the EU that affect travel to Spain. For example, most U.K. residents can no longer apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and must apply for the U.K.’s Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) to ensure they are covered for necessary medical treatment in Schengen states. As the GHIC will not cover all treatment or mishaps, it is a good idea to get travel and medical insurance that covers you for more extensive medical costs and lost luggage.


Non-U.K. nationals living in Britain who wish to travel to Spain

If you are living in the U.K. and are a citizen of a country without a visa-free travel arrangement with the European Union and Schengen Zone, you will need to apply for a Schengen Visa, even for a visit lasting fewer than 90 days, meaning you will need travel insurance covering you for medical and repatriation costs up to €30,000 that is valid in all 27 Schengen states, including Spain, as this is a condition of obtaining a short-stay Schengen Visa.


Registering for healthcare

Those wishing to become a resident in Spain for a longer period will need to register to access healthcare at your local health center with your social security number, which you can find via your local National Social Security Institute (TGSS) office in Spain. Dependents will need to register separately. You may also be entitled to a Spanish European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitling you to free or discounted treatment when traveling in the EU and the U.K. As this does not cover all medical treatments you may wish to take out additional insurance.


What are my options when buying Schengen travel insurance from AXA?

Low Cost

For those on a strict budget or who want basic coverage, AXA provides Low Cost Schengen Area travel insurance that meets your visa requirements from as little as 22€ per week. This will cover you for medical expenses up to €30,000 in all Schengen countries and offer you coverage in case of repatriation. A certificate proving you are insured will be available immediately.


Europe Travel

AXA also offers other options and tailor-made products. Other coverage available includes our Europe Travel insurance, costing 33€ per week - this is perfect for those traveling with family as it covers children under 18, or for those planning more adventurous activities during their trip as it covers expenses up to €100,000. With this type of insurance, you are also covered for loss of documents or other important items, as well as other problems you might encounter during your trip.


Multi Trip

Schengen Multi Trip insurance, perfect for business travelers making regular visits, can be bought for €328 for a year’s coverage and has the same benefits as Europe Travel but can be used throughout a year on multiple trips.


AXA also has other insurance products tailored to meet the needs of those planning to move to Spain to study, work or live, such as international insurance or plans tailored to students completing their education abroad.


Registering your pre-existing conditions to take out insurance

You will need to declare any pre-existing conditions. AXA has made it easy for you to do so by answering a few quick and confidential questions during the quote process. We should be able to offer insurance that covers the conditions you have declared. Claims relating to any conditions not declared to us will not be covered.


Related article : Schengen travel insurance for U.K nationals traveling to France


Frequently asked questions about obtaining travel insurance for a visit to Spain

How do I contact AXA to make a claim during my trip?

If you need to contact us while requiring assistance during your trip to Spain - you can email the AXA Help Team on travel.help@axainsurance.com or log in to your online account and follow the simple steps on the claims page. For support in a medical emergency: call our 24-hour helpline on +44 (0)1737 815626. Call charges may vary.

Will my travel insurance fees be refunded if my visa is refused?

Yes. If your visa is refused - AXA will refund your insurance fees - but you will need documentation from officials.

Do AXA’s policies provide cover if I contract Covid-19 in Spain?

All AXA policies include cover for emergency medical expenses due to coronavirus or for cancellation caused by you becoming ill with coronavirus. However -several policies no longer cover the cancellation of holidays if regulatory bodies advise against travel due to the pandemic.