How do I prove means of subsistence when applying for a Schengen Visa?

If you want to stay in a country in the Schengen Area you will need to prove you have means of subsistence when applying for your Schengen Visa. This will prove you have the means to support yourself during your stay and are able to cope with any costs associated with your visit.
There’s no need to worry too much, as the financial requirements are not too onerous. However, they do vary from country to country - with different levels of means of subsistence applying in each Schengen state. Means of subsistence includes the costs associated with travel within the Schengen Area and accommodation, but not your plane tickets to travel to the Schengen Area.

What do I need to do to prove I have means of subsistence for my Schengen Visa?

Officials at the embassy, consulate or visa application center of the Schengen country where you plan on traveling to will require you to provide a supporting document proving your means of subsistence for your Schengen Visa when applying. This will have to meet the requirements they set for spending time in your hosting country.
The only recognized way to prove your financial sufficiency are recent bank account statements during the last three months. Attention, bank statements must show the name and address of the owner.
The embassies cannot accept Travel Money Cards or cash as proof of sufficient funds.

How much money do I need in bank for Schengen visa?

Although the Schengen Area has a ‘Visa Code’ designed to boost the uniformity between states, given the differing levels of prices in various countries, each applies their own rules on means of subsistence.

  • Belgium applies different levels of means of subsistence ( €45 and €95) to those who stay in hotels or cheaper accommodation.
  • France also offers differing levels - requiring you to prove you have €120 per day of your trip without proof of accommodation, €65 if staying in a hotel, and just €32.25 for those who can prove cheaper accommodation arrangements.
  • Germany : €45 per day
  • Italy requires proof that the applicant has sufficient means of subsistence as required by the Directive of the Ministry of the Interior dated 1st March 2000 :
    • €269.60 fixed sum for stays up to 5 days (€212.81 per person for groups of two and more);
    • 6–10 days: €44.93 per day (€26.33 per person for groups of two and more);
    • 11–20 days: €51.64 fixed sum + €36.67 per day (€25.82 + €22.21);
    • 20+ days €206.58 fixed sum + €27.89 per day (€118.79 + €17.04).
  • Spain : €583.74 minimum amount (for stays of up to 10 days); €64.86 per day in excess of 10 days.
  • Netherlands : €34 per day

Most Schengen Area countries adopt a similar system of specifying that you need to prove you have a specific level of funding per day during your stay, although Austria reviews applications on a case by case basis.
It is, therefore, worth checking on the specific levels of funding you will require with the website for the embassy of the Schengen country you plan to travel to. It’s also a good idea to consult the website immediately before making your application for updated requirements - as these may have changed since the last time you visited the Schengen Area or checked in the past.
As a guide, not including accommodation, funds of around €50 - in addition to what you have paid for your hotel booking - will be enough in most cases to prove means of subsistence. But the more you can save the better - especially as you can then enjoy your extra cash on your trip!

How can AXA help?

As you’ll need money to provide funds to prove your means of subsistence for your Schengen Visa, it’s important to keep your other costs as low as possible. AXA has a number of great travel and medical insurancepolicies that meet the requirements of your visa.
You can buy your medical and travel insurance online with AXA from as little as 22€ per week. You will receive a certificate instantly to prove you are insured. We also offer our more comprehensive Europe Travel insurance that will cover medical expenses up to €100,000 from 33€ per week of your trip.
Multi-Trip insurance is also available to customers planning to travel in and out of the Schengen Area on multiple occasions. It’s perfect for those traveling on business regularly.

Related topics on Schengen visa :

Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about proving means of subsistence when applying for your Schengen Visa

Does the cost of my flight tickets count towards my means of subsistence for my Schengen Visa?

No. As these will not help you support yourself while in the Schengen Area.

Can I work to support myself while in the Schengen Area?

No. You cannot take on work while visiting the Schengen Area on a short-stay or student visa and will need to fully fund your trip.

I do not currently have the funds to prove I have means of subsistence but will soon. Can I apply?

You should wait until you have sufficient funds to prove you can cover your expenses before applying. But if - for example you are waiting for payday -  you could use your employment as proof of means of subsistence.