How do I apply for a visa to visit the Netherlands?

Do I need a visa to visit the Netherlands? Need information about the Netherlands visa requirements? If you’re living in a country within the Schengen Area or with a visa-free travel arrangement with Schengen countries, then you will not need a Netherlands visa. These include the U.S., Australia, South Korea, and Brazil.

I need a short-stay visa to travel the Netherlands, how do I apply?

Requirements for Netherlands visa

You will need to apply for a Netherlands Schengen Visa, which requires you to complete online an application form for Netherlands visa  and provide the following documentation:

  • one passport photo. This photo cannot have been taken more than 6 months ago and must bear a clear resemblances
  • your passport and a copy of all pages of the passport, including previously issued visas and all stamps,
  • proof of your itinerary, such as ticket and hotel reservations,  stating name, address and telephone number of the hotel, including confirmation
  • evidence of legal residence (if you apply from  the U.S.)
  • a certificate proving you have travel and medical insurance covering you for costs up to €30,000 which is valid within the entire Schengen Area,
  • proof you have the means for subsistence during your trip (e.g. bank statements during the last three months (Bank statements must show the name and address of owner(s). Electronic printouts are accepted.); proof of regular income e.g. pay slips of the last three months).

When you submit your application your fingerprints will be taken. These will remain valid for 5 years. Some applicants, such as children under the age of 12, do not need to have their fingerprints taken.

I plan to work or study in the Netherlands during my stay - do I need a different visa?

Yes. You’ll need a work visa issued by the Dutch government allowing you to work in the Netherlands. To gain this you will additionally need to supply a copy of your employment contract, or if self-employed, a business license and company bank statements. To obtain a student visa, you will be asked to provide proof of enrolment, such as an invitation to study at a Dutch university.

How much does a Netherlands visa cost?

The cost of a Schengen Visa to all countries in the Schengen Area is €60, although this will increase to €80 from January 2020.  If you apply through an external service provider, such as a visa agency or VFS Global you will have to pay an extra fee to the provider.

Where to apply for a Netherlands visa in the U.S.A.?

Netherlands visa appointement

Applications via VFS Global U.S.

Visa applications can be submitted at the Dutch visa application centers (VAC) of VFS Global. All applications will be sent to and assessed by the Regional Support Office (RSO) of the Dutch ministry of Foreign Affairs in Washington, DC. You can submit your application at the VAC in Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, San Francisco or Washington. Check the required documents and book an appointment online via the website of VFS Global.

Applications at the Dutch embassy or consulates in the U.S.

Visa applications can also be submitted at the Netherlands embassy in Washington or at the consulates in Miami, New York or San Francisco. Please make an appointment via the online appointment system.

How can AXA help?

AXA offers several Schengen Visa compliant insurance policies for travel in Europe, which will cover you for your trip to the Netherlands, from a low-cost option, priced at as little as €0.99 per day of your trip. Your certificate will be available instantly online - ready for you to complete your application and begin your travels.