Apply for Schengen visa from USA

If you’re an American citizen traveling to Europe, you will likely be heading to countries within the Schengen Area - the group of nations which have abolished border controls between each other. These include most European Union states including, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Poland, and the Scandinavian nations. It does not include the U.K.

I’m an American passport holder or resident, will I require a Schengen Visa?

Schengen visa US citizens: American citizens traveling to the Schengen Area for fewer than 90 days do not need to apply for a visa. From 2021, they will need to apply for an ETIAS visa waiver before travel, which can be obtained online and will cost €7 ($7.82). If you’re planning on staying for longer than 90 days, you will require a long-stay visa or residency permit.

Schengen visa USA green card holders: U.S. permanent residents and Green Card holders who are citizens of states without their own visa-free arrangement with Schengen Area countries, like China or India, as well as all African nations, need to apply for a visa. The fee for a Schengen Visa is €60 ($67).

How do I apply for a Schengen Visa and what are the requirements?

You can get your visa from the embassy or consulate of the country you want to travel to. There you will need to provide your passport or travel document, a cover letter explaining the reasons for your trip, proof of accommodation, evidence you can financially support yourself during your stay, a recent photo, and obtain travel and health insurance. U.S. Green Card holders need to provide proof of employment or business ownership, while foreign students studying in America must have an I-20 form allowing them to study and a reference letter from their educational institution. Those planning multiple visits to a Schengen country should check if a one, three, or five-year multiple entry visa would be best suited to their needs.

I need a Schengen Visa, but am visiting more than one country, where do I apply?

You need to apply at the embassy of the country you’re staying the longest in. So, if you were planning to spend 10 days in France, a week in Italy, and a week in Germany, you would apply at the French Embassy. If you are staying in two countries for an equal amount of time, you should apply wherever you plan to visit first.

What do I need from my Travel health insurance Schengen?

Travel and health insurance are not mandatory for U.S. citizens traveling in Europe, but is highly recommended, as emergencies - medical or otherwise - can leave you severely out of pocket. If you need a visa, then your insurance must cover accidents, illnesses, and emergency treatment, as well as repatriation to the U.S. in case of death, for costs up to a minimum of €30,000 ($26,855).

Why choose AXA Insurance for Schengen visa?

AXA offers several Medical health insurance Europe policies, from a low-cost option, priced at as little as €0.99 ($1.11) per day of your trip, that will meet all Europe visa requirements to multi-trip insurance that will cover you for ongoing visits. None of these policies will require you to pay an excess fee on medical costs.

Travelling to Europe for holidays or for work? AXA Schengen Travel insurance is accepted in all the Consulates and Embassies of Schengen area. From €0,99/day

Check our Schengen Visa Insurance Covers.