How to apply for a Schengen Visa from India ?
Do Indian nationals need a Schengen Visa to enter Europe?
Indian passport holders need to apply for a Schengen Visa in order to enter any of the Schengen Area countries.
How do I apply for a Schengen Visa from India?
If you live in India, you will first need to work out which Schengen Visa you need, depending on your purpose, the length of your trip, and how many times you plan to visit. The standard Schengen Visa, for trips lasting up to 90 days, is a short-stay visa, with longer stays requiring a work or study visa. Multiple-entry visas are also available if you plan on traveling regularly to the Schengen Area.
Indian nationals must apply for your Schengen Visa no more than six months, and no fewer than 15 days, before your trip. It is advised you apply at least three weeks before you leave, however, to allow for any delays in the processing of your application. Then you need to fill out your application, obtain all the documents you need for your Schengen Visa, and attend an interview at a consulate, embassy, or visa application center in India.
How much does a Schengen Visa cost in India?
A Schengen Visa from India costs €80 or Rs. 6,500 for adults and €40 or Rs. 3,250 for minors. Visa fees are waived for children under six years of age, those traveling to Europe for study purposes, researchers, those under 25 years old traveling with charitable organizations, and those attending sporting or cultural events.
What documents do I need to apply for a Schengen Visa from India?
You will need:
- a Schengen Visa application form
- two recently taken passport-style photos,
- an Indian passport or other travel documents that are no older than 10 years and valid for at least three months after your departure date from the Schengen Area.
- 1 copy of your passport’s data page (A4 size copy)
- Leave letter of your company (if employed)
- No-objection certificate of school or university (if student)
- a travel and medical insurance covering you up to costs of €30,000
- personal covering letter with entire travel plan (itinerary)
- flight reservation, rail tickets, others
- proof of accomodation for your entire stay in the Schengen area
- proof of your civil status, like marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable
- Proof of financial status:
- If employed: Payslips of the past three months / employment contract
- If self-employed: Certificate of Proprietorship or other proof of ownership (proof of land title, proof of income from agriculture (sales form) etc.)
- Personal original bank statement of the past three months with sufficient funds
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Form 16 (Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary)
All documents need to be presented in the given order in original. Should you wish to keep any original, kindly provide a copy (A4 size). DO NOT staple any documents.
Are there any documents I will need when applying for a Schengen Visa in India?
If you are planning to work or study in the Schengen Area, then you will need additional documents to obtain your Schengen Visa. For those coming to work in Europe, these include an employment contract, a current bank statement, a leave letter from your Indian employer, and an income tax return. The self-employed need an income tax return, a company bank statement and a copy of their Indian business license. As a student, you will need proof of enrolment and a no objection letter from the Indian institution where you study.
You may also need to supply proof of a pension or property income if these provide your income.
How do I book my Schengen Visa appointment if I live in India?
Schengen Visa apption center. Some countries use these outsourced visa application centers - located in major cities in each region. For example, France or Germany uses the company VFSGlobal, which has centers in
- New Delhi,
- Kolkata, and
Applicants in India must book an appointment to be interviewed in order to obtain their visa and attend with their supporting documents. These will be undertaken at a consulate, embassy or visa application centers. More information on where to apply for Schengen visa in India.
All Schengen visa applicants in India have to appear in person in order to provide biometric data (fingerprints and digital photography). The photograph can be digitally taken at the time of the application or scanned from a recent one, if conform to ICAO standards2 . For futher applications (within 5 years), the fingerprints can be copied from the previous application file .
How long does it take to process an India Schengen Visa?
Applications should take around 15 days but can take up to 30 days to process, especially during busy periods. In some cases, however, it may take up to 60 days - so apply early.
How to apply for these countries from India ?
Why choose AXA Schengen Insurance?
AXA’s Low Cost Travel Insurance only costs €0.99 ($1.11) per day of your trip and will meet your visa requirements, while the AXA Schengen Europe Travel Insurance offers extended coverage up to costs of €100,000.
Those seeking a multiple-entry visa can purchase the Multi Trip insurance from €298 per year, which again covers you for expenses up to €100,000.
How to apply for Schengen visa in other countries ?
Frequently asked questions about India Schengen Visas
If your visa is refused you have the right to appeal to the authorities in the Schengen member state where you applied.
Although most countries are represented in India - those without an embassy will be represented by another country’s consulate - which you should apply to.
You should apply to the country where you are planning to spend most of your trip - or if staying an equal amount of days in two countries - the one you plan to enter first.