Buy Schengen Travel Insurance from India
Do Indian citizens need a Schengen Visa and travel insurance to enter Europe?
To enter the Schengen Area, Indian citizens need a Schengen Visa. And to apply for a Schengen visa, you need travel insurance. But picking the right travel insurance policy can be tricky. Fortunately, as the number one brand for Schengen Visa travel insurance online, AXA provides a number of insurance options for stress-free travel to and throughout the Schengen area. Our comprehensive plans meet all the necessary requirements for obtaining a Schengen Visa. So if you plan to travel from India to Europe, we can bring you one big step closer to your trip in no time.
- What kind of travel insurance do I need when applying for a Schengen Visa from India?
- What are my options when buying AXA travel insurance?
- Reasons to Choose AXA Schengen Travel Insurance when traveling from India
- How to apply for a Schengen Visa from India
- What documents will I need?
- Other countries that need a Schengen Visa
What kind of travel insurance do I need when applying for a Schengen Visa from India?
When traveling from India to Europe, you will need at least some basic travel insurance. And depending on the nature of your particular trip, it can include numerous coverage options. However, to be granted a Schengen Visa, it is mandatory to at least have the following:
- An insurance plan that is valid in all Schengen countries (and not just the ones you plan to visit)
- A plan that covers the entire duration of your trip and stay in Europe
- A policy that covers repatriation in the event of serious injury or death
- Guaranteed minimal coverage of medical costs of up to €30,000
What are my options when buying AXA travel insurance?
AXA Travel Insurance offers three comprehensible options for you to choose from:
Starting from as little as €22 per week, this plan provides our most basic coverage and is perfect for those travelling on a budget. It meets all the requirements necessary for a Schengen Visa, covers medical expenses of up to €30,000 in all Schengen countries, and offers coverage in case of hospitalization or repatriation.
This plan starts at €33 per week, meets all Schengen Visa requirements, and covers medical expenses of up to €100,000 across the Schengen Area. Not only that, but Europe Travel also covers you in countries not in the Schengen 27 — such as the U.K. Monaco, the Principality of Andorra, and others. And the plan can also cover things like the loss of documents and/or valuables, as well as a number of other problems you might run into.
This plan starts at €328 for a full year’s coverage. This is our most comprehensive plan and is perfect for business travelers, as well as anyone else planning to travel through the Schengen area regularly. No matter how many check-ins you do, this plan will help ensure nothing goes wrong along the way.
|Countries Covered||Average price|
|Low Cost||Up to 180 days||€30,000||
Austria, Belgium, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
22 € per week
|Up to 180 days||€100,000||
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
|33€ per week
(approx. US$ 35)
|Multi Trip||Illimited number of stays of 90 days max.
during 1 year
|€100,000||328€ per year
approx. US$ 349)
7 Reasons to Choose AXA Schengen Travel Insurance when traveling from India
- It’s quick, easy, and can be done online in minutes.
- All three AXA plans offer complete guaranteed coverage at the best value.
- All three plans meet the necessary requirements for a Schengen Visa from India.
- All three cover all the Schengen territories (and beyond).
- You can download an AXA travel insurance certificate instantly.
- The AXA certificate is accepted at all embassies and consulates representing the 27 Schengen countries.
- AXA Travel Insurance is refundable in case your visa is denied. You will just need to provide the appropriate documentation (i.e., an official explanation as to why your visa was refused from the relevant embassy, consulate, or visa application center).
Get a free quote and learn more about an AXA Schengen Travel Insurance Plan that works best for you here.
How to apply for a Schengen Visa from India
Again, depending on the nature of your particular trip, you can apply for various types of visas. Are you traveling for school, work, or vacation? Do you plan to visit multiple countries? How long do you plan to stay in the Schengen Zone? These are all factors that will help determine which visa is best for you. Below is some general information you should consider:
- You can get a standard short-stay visa, lasting for trips up to 90 days (to be taken within a 180-day period).
- You can also opt for Multiple-entry visas (or work or study visas). These cover you for longer periods of time. For Multiple-entry visas, allow time for booking an appointment at a visa application center, as well as processing. To ensure your visa is granted, you should file your application no more than six months before you plan to travel and no later than 15 days before departure.
- Visa application centers are located in most major cities in India (such as Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Chennai). You can also apply via your desired countries’ embassies and consulates. These are generally found in New Delhi).
- You will also need to fill out a Schengen Visa application form. This form should also be available from the consulate or visa application center representing the country you plan to visit. Or you can save some time and download it from AXA here.
What documents will I need?
When applying for your Schengen Visa from India, you will need the following:
- Your passport and two recent passport photos
- Travel and medical insurance covering costs of up to €30,000 (and AXA can provide the necessary certificate immediately upon purchase)
- Evidence of legal residence in India
- A cover letter stating your itinerary, as well as the purpose of your visit
- A flight itinerary, proof of accommodation, and proof you have means of subsistence during your stay in Europe
- You’ll also need to submit biometric data during your interview, including your fingerprints
- If you’re traveling for purposes other than tourism, or if you’re staying with friends and/or family, you will also need a letter of invitation.
You can learn more about and start your Schengen Visa application process from India here.
Other countries that need a Schengen visa
What happens if I submit the wrong information on my Schengen insurance form?
All the information you give us must be accurate to the best of your knowledge and belief and it’s your responsibility to make sure that it’s updated if it changes. Insurance companies can cancel policies- declare them void- and refuse to pay out if the information is not correct. If an inaccuracy is deemed deliberate you may also face a fraud investigation.
Can I buy AXA’s Schengen travel insurance from a broker in India?
No. It is only available to buy via this website.
Do I need to declare any pre-existing conditions when taking out travel insurance?
Yes you do, and AXA has made it easy for you to do so by answering a few quick and confidential questions during the quote process. This means we should be able to make an offer that covers the conditions you have declared. Claims relating to undeclared conditions will not be covered.