Do I need a visa to go to Spain?

If you are a U.S., Canadian or Mexican national you will not need a visa to travel to Spain for fewer than 90 days, as these countries are among those with visa-free arrangements with the European Union (EU), allowing their citizens to travel within the Schengen Area of European countries which have abolished border controls between each other. However, from 2021 you will need to apply for an ETIAS visa waiver before you travel, which can be obtained online and will cost €7 ($7.82)

Citizens of countries without a visa waiver deal, including Russia, China, India and all African nations, even those who are permanent residents of the U.S, will require a Schengen Visa to travel to Spain - which will also allow you to travel to other countries in the Schengen Area.

How do I apply for a visa for Spain?

Applying for a Spain Schengen visa for travel to Spain costs €60 ($68) and has traditionally been done via your nearest Spanish Embassy or Consulate. But nowadays, in many countries, parts of the process are outsourced to BLS International visa application centres. This is true of China and India, where you will need to schedule an appointment at one of these centres.

In the U.S., applications from New York are dealt with by a BLS centre, while those living in other regions should apply via their consulate. There, you will need to provide your passport or travel document, an itinerary explaining the reasons for your trip, proof of accommodation and reason for travel, evidence you can financially support yourself during your stay, a recent photo, and a travel and health insurance certificate proving you are covered for your trip. U.S. residents who are not citizens will require a Green Card or I-20 student form proving their right to work or study there. You cannot apply more than 90 days before your scheduled arrival in Spain.

How do I apply for a student visa to Spain?

Find a detailed guide on how to apply for a Spain student visa here.

What will I need to provide to meet Spain visa requirements?

Proof of accommodation could take the form of a booking, a rental or lease agreement, or if you are staying with family or friends, a letter stating that they will be hosting you. You are also asked to provide proof of employment, and your last three bank statements. Spanish government guidelines state you should be able to prove you have no less than €100 ($113) per person per day for the duration of your stay.

What do I need from my travel and health insurance?

To obtain a Spanish visa, your travel and medical insurance must be valid for all 26 countries in the Schengen Area, even those you have no plans to visit, and cover accidents and illnesses, covering costs up to a minimum of €30,000 ($26,855).

Why choose AXA Insurance?

AXA offers several Schengen Visa compliant insurance policies for travel in Spain, low-cost option, priced at as little as €0.99 ($1.11) per day of your trip. Taking out insurance is a legal requirement of obtaining a visa for Spain and will cover you for any emergencies that occur during your travels. None of these policies will require you to pay an excess fee on medical costs. AXA travel insurance policies are accepted in all the Embassies and Consulates of Schengen area countries.