How to obtain a tourist visa for Spain?
Its culture, its food, its people and sunny beaches, so many reasons to choose Spain as your perfect get away.
Before setting off on your Iberian adventure, you need to make sure you have the proper documents to legally enter the country and fully enjoy your trip.
Here are a few guidelines to help you apply for a Schengen tourist visa for Spain.
Who needs to apply for a Schengen tourist visa to visit Spain?
The Schengen area includes 26 countries among which Spain.
Citizens from non-European countries – such as Russia, China, India and all African nations - need to apply for a Spain Tourist visa if they wish to visit Spain for less than 90 days.
Some countries such as the US, Canada, Brazil, Australia and Mexico have visa-free arrangements with the European Union which means that their citizens do not need a visa to visit Spain for stays shorter than 90 days. However starting 2021, they will need to apply for an ETIAS visa waiver to travel.
This visa-free arrangement is only valid for citizens of these countries and not their residents. Therefore the need for a Schengen visa depends on your citizenship and not your place of residence.
How long can you stay in Spain on a tourist visa?
A tourist visa for Spain is a category C short stay visa which is granted to visitors who are travelling to Spain for their holiday i.e. for tourism purposes.
Your Schengen tourist visa for Spain allows you to stay in the country for 90 days maximum over a 180 day period (the "90 days rule" in Spain).
This visa will also allow you to visit other Schengen countries during that time.
How do I obtain a Tourist visa for Spain?
You need to apply at your nearest Spanish embassy, consulate or visa application center if
- Spain is the only Schengen country you are planning to visit
- OR the one where your stay will be the longest (most number of nights) during your Schengen adventures
- OR the first Schengen country from which you will enter the Schengen area.
You will be given an appointment during which your biometric data (fingerprints and photo) will be taken and you will hand in your application file with all the required documents.
What are the documents required with your Tourist visa application for Spain?
For your application to be processed you will need to provide several documents.
Here is a list of the basic mandatory documents (original and copy) required when applying for a Tourist Visa for Spain. Additional documents can be asked depending on your personal situation.
Spain tourist visa requirements:
- A completed and signed visa application form
- Your passport. It shouldn’t be older than 10 years, its expiration date should be minimum 3 months beyond the date when you will leave the Schengen area and it should have at least 2 blank pages.
- At least one passport type photograph
- Proof of residence (original and copy): driver's license with current address, voter registration card, student ID, etc
- Proof of immigration status (eg. green card in the U.S.) if necessary
- A health & travel insurance certificate proving that your insurance covers your medical costs for a minimum of 30,000€ in case of health emergencies (hospitalisation, repatriation). It must be valid for the entire duration of your stay in the Schengen area and in all Schengen countries even if you have no plans to visit them.
- Your confirmed roundtrip tickets: travel reservations showing dates of entry and departure from the Schengen area.
- Proof of your social and professional status: a signed letter of employment with salary, proof of self-employment or business ownership, proof of enrolment for students, unemployment document, retirement statement.
- Proof of your financial means: recent bank statements with official bank signature or stamp, letters of sponsorship showing you have the financial means to support yourself during your entire stay.
- Your latest credit card statement
- Proof of accommodation :
- confirmed hotel reservations for every night of your stay in Spain and the Schengen area with complete information (name, phone number, address and email).
- if you are staying with friends or family they will have to request an official Letter of Invitation issued by the Spanish authorities. You will need to present the original and its copy.
- for cruise ship travellers, booking confirmation by their travel agent with complete itinerary and names of hotels where you will be staying.
- A notarised authorisation letter for applicants under 18
- The visa fee which you will pay at the time of your appointment
How much bank balance is required for Spain visa?
In Spain, you are required to have 90€ per day of stay (10% of the SMI, the Minimum Interprofessional Salary)
How much does the tourist visa for Spain cost?
A Spain tourist visa costs 80€ for visitors aged 12 and over, 40€ for children ages 6 to 12, free for children younger than 6 years old.
When should you apply for your Tourist visa for Spain?
You cannot apply earlier than 180 days before your planned departure date.
It is recommended that you submit your application at least 3 weeks in advance.
Delays to issue the visa can vary, on average it takes about 15 working days to be issued.
How do I apply for a student visa to Spain?
Find a detailed guide on how to apply for a Spain student visa here
We are doing our best to provide you the most reliable and updated information possible but rules and regulations concerning visas can be modified at all times by the consulate of your country if circumstances require it. Consequently, we can not be held accountable for these changes.
Please contact the Spanish Embassy to obtain the specific terms and conditions in effect at the moment of the submission of your visa application